Sunday, June 17, 2018

A WELCOME SOUTH AFRICAN IN AUSTRIA


While all countries in Europe are extremely parochial about their own wine [and retail shelves reflect this] sometimes outside help is required. Austria is not renowned for red wines so I was more than willing to buy a bottle of this to try.
I wasn't expecting much for the price but once again Lidl amazed me. I love Pinotage, and while it's not to everyone's taste, if you love grungy, feral, earthy reds this may just be the best bargain in Europe. It has plenty of cellar potential so just grab a bottle to start with. Taste it over three days and see how it grabs you. Personally I'd rate it at well above 5/5 but I have to recognise it really isn't to everyone's taste.



VREDEBOSCH 2017 PINOTAGE
GRAPE VARIETY: Pinotage
REGION: Western Cape, South Africa
A/V: 14.5% 
PRICE: 2.49 euro 
FROM: Lidl, Austria
RATING: 4.5/5 from me

No comments: