Sunday, February 15, 2009

De Bortoli Black Creek 2004 Hunter Semillon

For me, De Bortoli's venture into the Hunter Valley has been nowhere the success of their Yarra Valley operation.
It's been a few years since they took over the old Wilderness Estate and while the quality has improved, it's been patchy at best. So the submission of this bin end didn't fill me with too much excitement. Obviously I was surprised.
Colour is just starting to develop, there's still plenty of citrus on the nose but it was the still-searing acidity that made me get excited enough to buy the lot. The back label is possibly a clue to the gem that De Bortoli didn't recognise. It's described as a "typical Hunter Semillon" that can be cellared 3-5 years. Enoy it now by all means but I reckon it has the potential to go ANOTHER 5-10 years.

RRP: $?????????
Our Price: $10 per bottle by the doz

SOLD OUT

No comments: